by admin ·
WebP – this is a new image file format, which provides the ability to compress both lossless and lossy. Image format WebP, lossless compression, have a size of 28% less than PNG. Image format WebP lossy have the size to 25-34% smaller than JPEG for equal values of SSIM. WebP also supports transparency (alpha channel). WebP and WebM formats promoted as web standards by Google as part of an initiative to reduce the world’s Internet traffic and improve the quality of Internet technologies. WebP and WebM is based on the codec VP8, developed by On2 Technologies, later purchased by Google.
In the new version:
- Alpha channel support.
- Supports compression without loss of quality.
- In the encoder adds support input image format TIFF.
- Added support for converting ARGB → YUVA in the decoder.
- In the decoder adds support for PAM format as the output format.
- Enhanced security (checking pointers allocated memory, checking various sizes).