Open Asset Import Library 3.0
by admin ·
Two weeks ago, came third version of the Open Asset Import Library (Assimp) - cross-platform library for importing and converting the three-dimensional formats.
Differences between versions 3.0 and earlier:
- the ability to export;
- support for new formats (IFC, Starcraft II, OGL / ZGL);
- Revised import some older formats (Ogre);
- Revised API;
- new post-processing functions;
- Version 3 binary incompatible with previous ones, also have a “slight” incompatibility at the level of the source.
Assimp 3.0 supports the import and export in the following formats:
- Collada DAE;
- Wavefront OBJ;
- Stanford Polygon Library PLY;
- Stereolithography STL.
It also supports importing from a few dozen of other formats , including:
- 3DS MAX 3DS and ASE;
- XGL / ZGL;
- LightWave LWO and LWS;
- DirectX X;
- AC3D (using X-Plane and FlightGear);
- Ogre XML;
- IrrLicht Mesh;
- Quake 1/2/3 and Doom 3;
- in part: AutoCAD DXF, TrueSpace, Starcraft II, Unreal, Valve Model.
To build the required GCC and CMake, desirable Boost. Another use zlib and irrxml, but they are included in the archive of the source.
Image viewer is still going on Windows only and does not work in Wine, in Linux only available library and convert the command line.